Now is the time for Spring cleaning. In addition to dusting your house, cleaning the grout in the bathroom and kitchen don’t forget that now is the time to switch the clothing in your closet from Winter coats and sweaters to t-shirts, shorts, skirts or pants. As you clean your closet use the following tips to help you decide what will stay and what will go.
1. Timing – When was the last time you wore the item? If it’s been more than 12 months then it is time for it to go.
2. Colors – It is time to move from dark winter hues to bright and cheery Spring colors. Jewel colors, bright pinks, and oranges are all the rage this season.
3. Tags – This goes along the lines of timing. If you bought something a while ago and it still has the tags on it then it is probably best to let that piece go. The item was attractive in the store but then you got it home and it didn’t look like you.
4. Size – Life happens. Did you conquer your goals and lose weight? Removing the larger clothes from your closet will help keep you in the frame of mind to keep the weight off and stay toned.
5. Old – Are there items in your closet that you’ve had for years and are looking like it? Sometimes the favorite clothes are no longer attractive. Either they are faded or have been worn too much that they are stretched or have holes.
When you are cleaning your closet it’s important to note that just because the clothes may not work for you they may work for others. There are plenty of charities that are happy to take gently used clothing. The Nashville Rescue Mission has programs for homeless men, women, and families that help them get back on their feet. Click here to learn more about how to donate.